Saturday, April 5, 2014

More Lorax

I was determined to figure out this blog post thing and get our Lorax door picture posted before my colleague, Lis, had a chance to add even more posts, but I missed my chance! Who knew she would be doing posts while she was on her spring break trip!

We spent several days doing The Lorax in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday! I love Dr. Seuss and so we do activities each March. The challenge for me this year is that I've had the same students for 2-3 years now and they are 4th graders so I had to step it up a notch!

First, our classroom door turned out top notch! I have a wonderful paraprofessional who is so crafty that I can just tell her my idea and she's got it done the next day. I had gathered several ideas from pinterest and other bloggers to put this together.
The paraprofessional created and cut out the Lorax. One of my students was adamant about doing the stump for him to stand on. My other students were lucky enough to stand on chairs and sponge paint the Truffula trees! It turned out awesome! 

Next, my older students did several writing activities to extend their thinking about the book. I forgot to grab pictures of the writing and I wish I had because I was quite proud. They did the standard "what would you do to help the earth?" For students with limited writing skills as far as thinking beyond the text, they had some good thoughts. I think my favorite writing responses were their ideas for what they would do with the last truffula seed. Of course we had some truffula seeds (Nerds jelly beans) and Brown Barbaloots (chocolate teddy grahams) while we did our writing which totally helped! Lis posted this snack in a previous post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover