Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day!

I love hearing what my kiddos think.  Even better than just that is seeing their final product as a craft!
We did multiple days preparing for Earth Day this year, starting with reading The Earth Book by Todd Parr.  We then brainstormed ideas on how we could help the earth.  I think my favorite might be "turning off computers and iPads"!


We also made tissue paper earths.  I cut out "circle outlines" (alright, so they should have been circles, but were definitely ovals) in black construction paper and then placed them on contact paper.  We then talked about what colors we needed for our own earths and why (blue for water and green for land/what we live on).  The kiddos made their own earths out of tissue paper.


Here's how it looked when they were put up on the wall together - I love them!

And, of course, we needed to have an Earth Day themed snack...a compost snack!  We talked about what compost is and what the parts are.  We used chocolate pudding for the mud and oreos for the dirt (I thought it was the combo of the two to make the dirt, but the kiddos had a different thought process than me...no surprise!), gummy worms, and pistachio pudding for the grass that it helps to grow on top. For whatever reason, our kiddos this year love pistachio pudding, and everyone loves gummy worms and oreos, so the snack was a total success!!



Happy Earth Day everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover