Sunday, March 16, 2014

Developing Number Concepts - Wacky Math Style

The Kindergarten and 1st Grade teachers in my school have been using Developing Number Concepts by Kathy Richardson as part of their intervention for math.  

I typically am skeptical of using the curriculum and resources that the general ed teachers are using because of how it doesn't fit my kiddos needs and isn't hands-on or interactive.  However, I am loving Developing Number Concepts...and so are my kiddos.  The activities are easy to differentiate and adapt.  Book 1 focuses on beginning number concepts, specifically counting and comparing amounts.  I have found that it works perfectly for my kiddos to work on the same activity for a week.  I can easily scaffold the activities for each kiddo as well as change the difficulty level of it as the week progresses. 


Since it's March, of course the activities are Dr. Seuss-coordinated!
Last week, we worked on 1:1 correspondence... We used fishbowl mats with 10-frames (depending on the level of my student, they had either 10 or 20 spots on their mats), number cards (corresponding to the level of number on their mats), and goldfish crackers.  


One of my kiddos needs visual cues for the numbers, so his 10-frame fishbowl mat had pictures of fish already in the 10-frame.  


This week, we worked on the activity called "Cover the Dots".  We used wacky dot cards and Dr. Seuss stickers.  Once again, I was able to easily give students the cards that they needed to work on, depending on their current counting ability, both rote counting and counting with 1:1 correspondence. Bonus was that they were working on fine motor at the same time.
Cover the Dots - fine motor, 1:1 correspondence & writing numbers


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover